Thursday, October 25, 2012

What's in a Name ??


My brother lives a Stop away from the train I need to take to get home.  Tonight, instead of hopping on the Train where he lives only to have to transfer at the next station, I decided I’d walk the 9, 10 minutes to that Stop.  It’s a charming October night and besides, I love the fall.  I enjoy the feel and sound of my feet stepping over the fresh, autumn leaves that litter the ground.  I like the threat of winter the wind carries this time of year.  On the way, parallel to Queens Boulevard is the Queens Criminal Court House.  It’s the very same courthouse where the three Detectives accused of shooting Sean Bell were acquitted in 2008.   Anyway, when I walk, I stare and study all the buildings in my path even If I’ve seen them a thousand times.  I'm not sure what goes on in other cities but here, criminal defense attorney offices prop up like weeds, very close to criminal courthouses like bodegas near Projects.   There are dozens of them.  They have neon signs on their storefront windows that mesmerizingly blink, Lawyer / Abogado.  One of the storefronts in particular caught my eye.  It’s directly across from the courthouse.  The sign on its storefront window reads in huge red and green letters, Schwed & Zucker... Puzzled I thought, why would anybody facing prison, hire attorneys with names that look and sound like, Screwed & Sucker ?? Those two words carry multiple meanings, one for outside prison walls and one for in them.  Think about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment